Monday, July 22, 2013

Looking for that It-Bag? Try Sears.com!

Celine Luggage Tote on Sears Marketplace

I recently googled the Celine Luggage Tote, last year's It-Bag that hasn't dropped in popularity at all.  I've been eyeing it forever but just couldn't bring myself to splurge on one.  I googled it just to see where it was still available for purchase while I debated with myself more.  I expected my search to take me to retail websites like Bergdorf Goodman, Saks, Net-a-porter, etc. but to my surprise my search returned multiple links to Sears!! - the department store known for appliances and cheesy Kardashian clothes.  I was so confused but clicked on the link anyways which displayed prices lower than the MSRP and were also sponsored listings from Google.  I was intrigued.  Is Sears trying to be like eBay and Amazon? Did Sears secretly get a luxury makeover? or both?


According to the WSJ, it's a little bit of both. Sears added a "Marketplace" section to their website featuring upscale items from third party sellers.
In one of the more counterintuitive strategies in retailing today, Chairman and Chief Executive Edward Lampert has been pushing his beleaguered company to secure upscale offerings for the Marketplace section of its website, which features goods sold by third-party vendors.
So now in addition to the Chanel bag and Rolex watch, Marketplace browsers can find $445 Balenciaga sunglasses, $600 Pour La Victoire boots and a $500 Zac Posen dress, according to a recent scan of the website.
In addition, Mr. Lampert has made a priority of e-commerce, hoping to position the company to better compete with larger online marketplaces run by Amazon.com Inc. and eBay Inc.
The article notes that many shopper end up at Sears through an internet search and not by going there directly.  This is exactly what happened to me.  It seems like no one expected Sears to offer the high-end items they were searching for and thus, people are skeptical what Sears is doing selling luxury items.  It may take some getting used to.
The breadth of items, particularly at the high end, has some shoppers confused, especially since they usually land there through general Internet searches, rather than by going to Sears.com.
On an online forum for handbag aficionados, a string of members were questioning whether a Gucci purse listed on Sears' website was fake, merely because of its association with the department store.
"Sears would be the last place most would think to purchase high-end bags from," a member quipped. Another wrote, "Gucci @ Sears? hmmmmm don't think so!"
A Sears spokesman said every seller goes through a registration and approval process to ensure the validity of their items.

Offering luxury goods seems like such a strange divergence from its usual lines of business and targeting a completely new consumer base but it's possibly a good diversification plan. We'll see how it plays out.  It's also smart of Sears to pay Google to have their listing sponsored as well because it definitely caught my attention and I would never have gone there otherwise. Maybe next time, I will.  

This is a screenshot of the sponsored links to Sears that appear when one searches for "celine luggage tote"


What do you guys think, is this a smart move? Would you buy a luxury item from Sears.com?

Read more:
WSJ: Christian Louboutin shoes and Chanel bags on Sears's website? Yes, but they aren't sold by Sears

2 comments:

  1. All your things are so pretty, I carry a lot of child related thing so sadly my summer bag is not that different from any other time. That wallet is divine x degradable carrier bags

    ReplyDelete
  2. PART 1 - Hi, my name is Dominic Gerard and I am the person this forum​ ​is about.
    As I said over a year or so ago:​
    ​I am for TRUTH, no matter who it​'​s for or who it is against ​and ​I make myself​ no exception, I am​ for TRUTH.
    First I have to use my back up email account - why well MY SON - Joshua who is 20 now and his partner Jessica Lowrie hacked my passwords over a year ago the day after I flew out of Australia - after they have FORGED my signature and taken pretty much over my entire business on line. How did this happen well. As I said I am for no matter who its for or its agaisnt - even my own self. The truth this woman Jessica Lowrie is actually came into my life only because I found her ONLINE back in 2016 on Decemeber 23rd and decided to to take her up on her advertisement on night at $800 a hour in Melbourne Victoria - when I went to meet her, I truly felt sorry foir her, and within a couple weeks she and I came to a agreement in where she was looking to get out of SEX INDUSTRY and frankly she was wanting to make $500,000 that year in 2017 just so she could open herself a small café in Pakenham - so I said Alright Jessica - 52 weeks in a year - So I will give $10,000 a week and in a year you will have your $520,000 and so she agreed and I told my client in America - het mate - that $15k you owe my company - just paypal this account to Jessicas PP account and sure enough he did so - I did not realize at that time - my young son and this PROSTITUTE from KINGS CROSS Victoria were going to end up now getting together to formulate a plan on how to take over my entire business the I left Australia a few montsh later - but that is exactly what they did and I am happy to provide anyone the evidence of my company having to take the two of them to the supreme court in Voctoria trying to recover all my companys for millions of dollars - and mind you this is now after my sons own my mother Lara Kristine and her family have me and my partenrs a few years earlier out of almost a $100Million in damges to a BOGUS settlement my wife made with her cousion with VERSACE in 2013 - OH brother can this get any more incredible ! Well I did say I am for truth and today the state of Victoria fraud division is going after and investigating both my son Joshua eMmanuel Griffith and my former SEX worker at $10,000 a week for FORGERY , MANUFACTURER OF FALSE CONTRACT , UTILIZATION OF FALSE CONTRACTS amd all sorts of such things - both of them have done everything they can do to try and ruin me and MY NAME in their desperates to PREVENT JUSTICE FROM ABOUT - anyway - here is both my direct USA contact number and Australian number should anyone wish to know anymore about this matter - 1-718-514-2778 and my number in Australia is 61-2-800-666-88 -end of part 1...to be continued

    ReplyDelete