Friday, April 26, 2013

Former Victoria's Secret Model, Kylie Bisutti, Causes Controversy

Photo: Wire Image

Although I'm not personally a big fan of the NY Post for its sensationalist news reporting, I admit I loved reading the article they wrote on Kylie Bisutti, a former Victoria's Secret model. The article contains an excerpt of her book, I'm No Angel: From Victoria's Secret Model to Role Model and an interview with Bisutti that goes into the horrors of the modeling industry and her struggle between what the modeling world wanted of her and what God wanted of her as a Christian.  

I think it's very admirable of Bisutti who was 18-19 years old when she started being exposed to the realities of the modeling industry to question it and desire to find another way to continue to do what she loves but on her terms even if it meant going the less popular route. 

Her interview and book has caught the attention of VS which in a statement to people.com, claimed that Bisutti "made numerous fabrications and misstatements of fact...[s]he was never a Victoria’s Secret ‘Angel’ as defined by the terms of our Angel model contract. And contrary to Ms. Bisutti’s claims, she was never offered any subsequent modeling contracts or opportunities with Victoria’s Secret despite her multiple appeals for further work. She has repeatedly fabricated her work experience with Victoria’s Secret — including a relationship that simply did not exist."

Bisutti responded via twitter saying, "I'm not slamming VS brand by the way. I still shop there all the time. My story has nothing to do with that. @BritishVogue @victoriassecret," and continues to explain, "My story is all about honoring God with my body and being the right kind of role model to women and girls. Living for Christ vs myself..."

Bisutti, you are already a role model, thank you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment